Red Velvet Cupcakes
Makes 28 regular cupcakes
3 ¾ C all-purpose flour
¼ C cocoa
1 ½ tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ C buttermilk
3 tsp vinegar
1 ½ tsp vanilla
8 drops red food coloring
2 ¼ C sugar
¾ C butter
pinch of salt
1. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt into medium bowl.
2. Whisk buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla, and food coloring in another bowl.
3. Cream butter and sugar in large bowl until well fluffy, 3 minutes
4. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until well blended before adding another.
5. Alternate adding flour mixture (divide into 4 portions) and buttermilk mixture (divide into 3 portions) to the creamed butter mixture.
6. Scoop into cupcake papers about half to two-thirds full (depending on whether you want flat or domed cupcakes).
7. Bake for 20 minutes in 175°C (350°F) oven.
Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting
12 oz (1½ Stick) softened Philly cream cheese
½ stick butter
5 C sifted powdered sugar
seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean
1. Beat butter and cheese at medium speed until creamy.
2. Add 4 cups of the sugar and beat until combined.
3. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
4. Gradually add remaining sugar (more if you have to) until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like.